Thursday, December 21, 2006

La La L'amour...

I only listen to "L'amour" in December. It's an eight-year tradition. I first heard the song on December 13, 1998, so it reminds me of the winter months. And by restricting the time I listen to it, I'm able to "rediscover" it every year. The song's festive atmosphere fits the Christmas season perfectly.

"L'amour" is the only AOB song that features accordions (some may be thankful for that!) and the lyrical puns are irresistibly fun!

"We took in the sights (Versailles) at the great museum."
"We got us a good eyeful at the tower."
"And down at the river, we fell deep in love."

Bonus points to Jonas for alluding to several Paris landmarks without ever mentioning the name of the city itself (Some of the landmarks include the Seine river, the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, and the museum at Versailles).

The French lyrics during the bridge also add a nice touch to the atmosphere. I don't speak much French. As a matter of fact, all I know is basically limited to two phrases, which happen to appear in Ace of Base lyrics: "Voulez-vous dancer avec moi se soir?" (Would you like to dance with me tonight?) from "Voulez-Vous Danser" and "Je ne regrette rien" (I regret nothing) from "L'amour". And when you think about it, those two phrases are all you really need for a short fling, erm, vacation in France.

"L'amour" is a catchy and playful tune. And every December, I look forward to rediscovering the song all over again.

1 Comments:

Blogger John Sposato said...

I just found a couple bootleg CD-Rs I made with alternate mixes, demos, B-sides, and unreleased tracks. I can't remember the site where I found them. "Emmanuel and "L'amour" are on here. It could have been a fan site or an mp3 site. They were in my collection a couple years without me digging them out. Might you know a site with dozens of rare tracks?
I ordered Classic Remixes from emusic and was a little disappointed. They're just not as good as the originals. The new "Wheel of Fortune" hits "Bankrupt" on my wheel (this is from the US game show). At least emusic have the European catalogue instead of the jaded US versions (similar case to the Beatles, except some tracks have only been on imports before).
There should be a new album at long last this year. I hear they're looking for a new label. I'd sign them tomorrow! They should stay indie. Arista slagged them off.
There's someone 60 kilometres away from me who's a bigger fan than me, but I had to break it to him about Linn's split.

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home