Monday, February 27, 2006

All I ever needed to know...

Trying to better understand Linn's "sÄng" lyrics, I Googled "crystal and moss" and realized that I've learned a great deal of information over the last twelve years just by looking up information related to AOB. Yes, the information mostly consists of small facts - the type you'd use on Jeopardy. The information would also be what the Berggren's dad called "dead knowledge", I suppose. But, the information surely has provided some use over the years.

I've learned more about the media by being an Acer. The radio industry and music industry are very familiar to me due to all the research put in to understand things like royalties, promotion, airplay, and contracts. I think many Acers also have a basic knowledge of Journalism as well. I've taken two classes in Journalism and realized that I already knew most of it from being a fan all these years.

My vocabulary has also expanded as an Acer. I remember specifically learning certain words from AOB words and lyrics. A few of the words I know I learned directly are humility, succor, inscrutability, salvation, da capo. High school vocabulary lessons were a pain until I realized I could write sentences pertaining to AOB to better remember the meaning of a word - "Ace of Base's new album contains euphonious vocals and melodic hooks." I had written a splendid sentence concerning Ulf and chutzpah, but, sadly, that sentence has been lost to time.

In high school, just as Flowers/Cruel Summer was being released, our English class read "Catcher in the Rye" I spent a solid hour in mid-flight from Houston to Dallas trying to decipher the meaning of LIAF and NGL in relation to this passage from the book:

"What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff- I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I'd do all day. I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all. I know it's crazy, but that's the only thing I'd really like to be. I know it's crazy."

I also learned a great deal about Sweden over the years, even lived there a few times - learned Swedish too, and that has come in handy more than once.

So, actually, when I think about it, it's not all dead knowledge. Most of it is, but some of it isn't.

One day, you'll see me on Final Jeopardy answering "What is KaksikymmentÀkaksi rullatuolia?" when given the clue "The correct spelling of "22 wheelchairs" in Finnish." I'll be sure to use some of the cash winnings to gather more knowledge on obscure, AOB-related subjects.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home